Sweet Potato Fantastic Fries ADVOCATE-TESTED RECIPE Chicken Fajita Pizza Makes 8 servings. Recipe is by Holly Clegg. 2 cups shredded skinless, rotisserie chicken breast 1 teaspoon chili powder 1 medium onion, thinly sliced 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced into strips 1 (10-13.8-ounce) can refrigerated pizza […]
Chicken Fajita Pizza
Makes 8 servings. Recipe is by Holly Clegg.
2 cups shredded skinless, rotisserie chicken breast
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced into strips
1 (10-13.8-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust
⅔ cup picante sauce
1¼ cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese
Terrific Tip: Use a Boboli crust or your favorite prepared pizza crust.
1. Preheat oven 425 F. Coat pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a bowl, combine chicken with chili powder; set aside. In a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté onion and green pepper, cooking until crisp-tender.
3. Unroll dough and place in pan; starting at center, press out with hands. Bake 6 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven and spoon chicken and onion mixture over partially baked crust. Spoon picante sauce over chicken and sprinkle with cheese. Return to oven and bake 10-12 minutes.
Nutritional information per serving: calories 219, calories from fat 26 percent, fat 6 g, saturated fat 2 g, cholesterol 41 mg, sodium 546 mg, carbohydrates 21 g, dietary fiber 1 g, total sugars 4 g, protein 19 g. Dietary exchanges: 1½ starch, 2 lean meat
Cheesy Burger Dip
Makes 20 (1/4-cup) servings. Recipe is by Holly Clegg from her “KITCHEN 101” cookbook.
Terrific Tip: Turn leftover dip into a delicious meal tossed with pasta or served over rice.
1 pound ground sirloin
½ pound sliced mushrooms
1 (16-ounce) jar salsa
1 (8-ounce) package shredded reduced-fat Mexican-blend cheese
1. In a nonstick pot, cook meat and mushrooms over medium heat 5–7 minutes, until meat is well browned. Drain any excess fat.
2. Add salsa and cheese, stirring over medium heat until cheese is melted.
Nutritional information per serving: calories 72, calories from fat 41 percent, fat 3 g, saturated fat 2 g, cholesterol 19 mg, sodium 176 mg, carbohydrates 2 g, dietary fiber 0 g, total sugars 1 g, protein 8g. Dietary exchanges: 1 lean meat
Sweet Potato Fantastic Fries
Makes 4 servings. Recipe is by Holly Clegg.
2 pounds sweet potatoes, about 2-3, peeled and cut into 4-by-½-inch slices
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Terrific Tip: For southwestern spicy fries, season with 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder.
1. Preheat oven 450 F. Line baking sheet with foil; coat with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Toss sweet potato fries with olive oil. In a small bowl, mix together paprika, chili powder and salt and pepper to taste. Toss with fries.
3. Arrange fries in a single layer on prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes on middle rack until potatoes begin to soften. Move pan to upper rack of oven; continue baking 10-15 minutes longer, until fries begin to crisp.
Nutritional information per serving: calories 248, calories from fat 25 percent, fat 7 g, saturated fat 1 g, cholesterol 0 mg, sodium 124 mg, carbohydra