Sweet potatoes contain loads of vitamin A, C and some calcium, potassium, and iron. One medium-size potato also has 4 grams of dietary fiber and contains no fat. Each serving of kale provides vitamin C, double the recommended daily amount of vitamin A, and approximately seven times more vitamin K than the minimum recommendation. Kale also provides minerals and unsaturated fats.
By combining sweet potatoes and kale with tomatoes and cannellini beans, you get a delectable, hearty soup that you can eat for lunch or dinner. Take a look at the recipe to see how you can mix the ingredients in a dutch oven and top with homemade pesto.
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1 14.5-oz. no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added cannellini beans, drained
- 4 ounces baby kale
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved
Heat grapeseed oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, until transparent and tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, black pepper, crushed red pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon of the salt; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add broth, sweet potato, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until sweet potato is almost tender, about 10 minutes. Add beans and kale, and cook until kale has wilted, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, place parsley, hazelnuts, olive oil, water, lemon juice, 1 ounce of the Parmesan, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small food processor or blender. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Divide soup among 6 bowls; drizzle each with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the pesto, and sprinkle evenly with remaining Parmesan.
[amazon_link asins=’B00X6ZBE42,B00006JSUF,B00063RWYI,B000N4WN08,B06XFDVXCW,B01IEE0EI6,B01H0CFMPS,B074PC122F’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’284507′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’5646257b-1681-11e8-8203-d32fd507b9fa’]